New research reveals that build-to-rent projects in the UK are experiencing significantly longer planning approval times, with delays jeopardising the government’s housebuilding targets amid waning pipeline momentum.
Build-to-rent projects in the UK are taking far longer to reach planning approval than the system is supposed to allow, according to new research from the British Property Federation and Savills. In London, the average wait has risen to 15 months, compared with eight months in 2020, while schemes elsewhere in the country can still take up to 14 months to secure consent.
The BPF says that means decisions are running about 150% beyond the statutory time limit for major applications. It warns that the lag is especially damaging at a time when the government is trying to accelerate housebuilding towards its 1.5m homes ambition, given that most build-to-rent applications are for schemes of more than 100 homes.
The sector remains a meaningful part of new supply, accounting for around 8% of homes delivered in the UK last year, according to the BPF. But the latest figures also suggest momentum is weakening in the pipeline. Homes in planning rose 2% across the country and 6% in London, reaching 41,968 in the capital in the first quarter of 2026, up from 36,559 a year earlier. Yet the number at the detailed application stage fell 17% from the end of 2025, while homes under construction slipped for a ninth consecutive quarter, dropping to 49,984 from 59,874. In London, construction volumes were down 29% over the same period.
The federation argues that the gap between policy reform and actual delivery is still too wide, with planning delays and building safety regulation both slowing progress. It says the system now needs more capacity, estimating that about 3,000 additional planners are required to support local decision-making and keep pace with demand. Danny Pinder, a director at the BPF, said planning reform so far had helped but had not gone far enough, while Jacqui Daly of Savills said the sector needed greater certainty, faster approvals and a more supportive operating environment if it was to deliver at scale.
Earlier BPF research pointed to a similar pattern, with 40% of build-to-rent sites taking at least 12 months to obtain consent, up sharply from 7% in 2014. That same research also showed the number of completed build-to-rent homes had climbed to 100,300, underlining both the sector’s growing importance and the pressure created when approval and delivery timelines stretch so far apart.
Source Reference Map
Inspired by headline at: [1]
Sources by paragraph:
- Paragraph 1: [2], [3], [5], [6]
- Paragraph 2: [1], [3], [5], [6]
- Paragraph 3: [1], [3], [4]
- Paragraph 4: [1], [2]
- Paragraph 5: [2], [7]
Source: Noah Wire Services
Noah Fact Check Pro
The draft above was created using the information available at the time the story first
emerged. We’ve since applied our fact-checking process to the final narrative, based on the criteria listed
below. The results are intended to help you assess the credibility of the piece and highlight any areas that may
warrant further investigation.
Freshness check
Score:
8
Notes:
The article was published on April 17, 2026, and references data up to Q1 2026. Similar findings have been reported in previous months, such as a January 2026 report indicating an 80% decline in new build-to-rent starts in London in 2025. ([benews.co.uk](https://benews.co.uk/new-btr-starts-in-london-fell-by-80-in-2025/?utm_source=openai)) This suggests the information is current but not entirely new.
Quotes check
Score:
7
Notes:
The article includes direct quotes from Danny Pinder of the BPF and Jacqui Daly of Savills. Similar statements from these individuals have appeared in previous reports, indicating potential reuse of content. ([benews.co.uk](https://benews.co.uk/new-btr-starts-in-london-fell-by-80-in-2025/?utm_source=openai)) The exact dates of these quotes are not specified, making it difficult to verify their originality.
Source reliability
Score:
8
Notes:
The article is published on PBC Today, a trade publication focusing on planning and construction news. While it is a niche publication, it is known for reporting on industry-specific topics. However, the article relies heavily on data from the BPF and Savills, which may present a conflict of interest.
Plausibility check
Score:
9
Notes:
The claims about planning consent delays and their impact on housing supply are consistent with previous reports. For instance, a January 2026 report highlighted an 80% decline in new build-to-rent starts in London in 2025. ([benews.co.uk](https://benews.co.uk/new-btr-starts-in-london-fell-by-80-in-2025/?utm_source=openai)) The data aligns with known industry trends, making the claims plausible.
Overall assessment
Verdict (FAIL, OPEN, PASS): FAIL
Confidence (LOW, MEDIUM, HIGH): MEDIUM
Summary:
The article presents information that is consistent with previous reports and is published on a reputable platform. However, the heavy reliance on data from the BPF and Savills, both with vested interests, and the reuse of quotes from earlier reports, raise concerns about the originality and independence of the content. The lack of independent verification from other reputable sources further diminishes the reliability of the information.

